Saturday 24 November 2012

A Little House with Little Legs

I have always loved dollhouses which have legs. It makes a little house seem more like a piece of furniture in its own right. This seems to give a dollhouse a purpose in the decorative scheme of a room. 



These antique houses are all in the V & A Museum in London.


This house (below) is in the Nordiska Museum in Stockholm.


So I decided to give my little Scandinavian house legs. I bought a set of four turned legs from the hardware shop. 


I made a frame by doweling the  legs and cross frame piece together.




It was a challenge to make the frame square and straight. We employed four large clamps and spent a lot of time fiddling with it. 


 In the end we got it right. The house looks quite good already I think - even though it is yet to acquire a facade.





7 comments:

  1. These houses always seem grander than a house on a table or on a chest of drawers. It has nice big rooms. Have you decided yet on the facade?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Idske, I agree! I have a vague idea for the facade but I havnt decided totally. I will have to draw up some more plans.

      Delete
  2. Hello Emily,
    I love houses with legs. they really look so much grandeur. You did a terrific job on yours. It look beautifula nd the legs work with the shape of your house. I wanted to put some on mine, but since it took 8 sheets of mdf I doubt any leg would last that long.
    Great job, once again.
    Big hug,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Giac, yes, I agree that legs look good. Gosh that is a heavy house! In my last house I used an old table and turned it into the stand of my house. I planned the size of the house so it fitted the table. Although it is a little bit unsteady.. This time I made the house lighter so that legs would work better.
      Thanks for checking it out!

      Delete
  3. Is very nice what you're doing with your home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Blanche! I wish I could make faster progress on it!

      Delete