This week I commenced work on the bathroom of the eBay house (which I think now I will start calling the "American House" - because it is looking more and more American for some reason). I have been looking at countless pictures of Victorian bathrooms, and found one I particularly liked:
The temptation of using panelling on the walls instead of difficult tiling was too much. So I convinced myself it was more authentic..
I sanded the edges of each balsa wood plank (which I had cut individually from a few large sheets), so that the individual panelling planks would be more obvious.
The back wall is not detachable, so I had to cut a cardboard template of it. That way I could work on that rather then straight on the back wall.
For the floor I made a template out of cardboard.
For the floor I bought a sheet of paper which had tessellated tiles on it. It isn't quite as realistic as the wooden floors, but it suffices when one is short on time. This method means I can slip it out while I am working, and back in now and then during the process (to see how the room will look).
I had to cut the sheet down to size. This was a challenge.
I painted the panelling mustard yellow.
I am not entirely happy with this colour. Although it matches the floor nicely, it makes the yellow in the hallway look a little bit washed out and faded. So it is back to the drawing board to think of a better colour scheme - be that flat colours or wall paper.